Thursday, October 8, 2009

Skillet Apple Cake

There hasn't been much sizzle here at The Greasy Skillet. I could blame it on a hectic schedule or my attempt to fight off an ever-expanding waistline or my determination to solve the mystery of Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box or my addiction to college football. I've just been busy not writing. Not writing is definitely easier than writing, but it's much less rewarding and satisfying.

Today I take baby steps to be a more prolific blogger.

Last night I had some mushy apples that demanded to be used, so I turned to a dogeared recipe in the King Arthur Flour Catalogue and prepared an apple skillet cake. With this quick recipe I might have regained my swagger.

Apple Skillet Cake
Ingredients:
Apples
  • Four large apples
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cake

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons bakign power
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup warm milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

  1. Prehate the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 - 10-inch cast iron skillet.
  2. Combine the apples with the brown sugar, spices, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Combinte the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  4. Mix the warm milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Pour into the prepared skillet.
  5. Spoon the apple mxture onto the batter. Evenly distribute apples.
  6. Bake the cake for about 1 hour, until it's brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and cool for 30 minutes. As you wait, enjoy the scent wafting through your kitchen. Fantasize about owning an orchard.
  7. Serve it with whipped cream or ice cream.

enjoy,
muddy


4 comments:

JoAnna said...

OK - I was just about to make an Apple CRISP! Then I just HAD to look at your blog... Maybe Apple Cake is the way to go.

PS-Your pictures look really good!

Nella said...

lol, I too was going to make Apple Crisp! This is a must try for sure. Glad you are back and I will give you a full report on the cake.
N

Velva said...

That skillet apple cake looks fabulous! On a cold morning with warm apple cake and a good cup of coffee...Life would be good.

Amanda said...

Thanks! The brownies really are amazing! :-) This looks really good too. I haven't been brave enough to try anything except meat in me cast iron skillet yet.