Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Rhett Butler



I don't quite understand it, but my wife swoons each time she watches this scene from Gone with the Wind. She talks about how romantic it is, and how Clark Gable impressively takes two steps at a time as he heads to bed Scarlet. I tell my wife that I could take two steps at a time up our stairs, but she just rolls her eyes. Maybe I should build a grander staircase.


Here's what I don't understand:

  1. Why doesn't Clark Gable have a Southern accent?

  2. Why do women find Clark Gable attractive?

  3. Why isn't Rhett's roughness with Scarlet a turnoff? He seems to be one step away from pulling an Ike Turner. I guess it's all about the context.

Today as I'm heading to Charleston, the home of Rhett Butler, I'll ponder these questions and the female mind and more or perhaps less.

For now I offer you the counterpart to the Scarlet O'Hara cocktail:

The Rhett Butler


Ingredients:


  • 2 oz Southern Comfort

  • 1/2 oz orange curacao

  • 1/2 oz fresh lime juice

  • 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

    Mix, garnish with a lemon-twist, enjoy, and share dramatic interpretations of Gone with the Wind.


i give a damn,

muddywaters

PS. . . OK, maybe he's slightly attractive, but he's no Cary Grant.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I've never liked Gone With the Wind for many reasons, some of which you've listed here. Why doesn't Rhett have a southern accent? No, he is not the least bit attractive to me. Yes, his roughness is disturbing and a total turnoff. Plus, Scarlet is an absolute biiiiiitch! I see nothing to like about the movie. Sorry.
I hope you enjoy your trip more than I enjoyed the movie.

Anonymous said...

Without Gone With The Wind , we wouldn't have the Carol Burnette scene where she wears the drapes complete with curtain rod.

http://threadforthought.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Carol-Burnett-Show-Went-with-the-Wind-drape-dress-1976.jpg

Word Verification: reammuff
Seriously? Isn't that at least PG-13?