Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Turds on a Platter

Monday night I endured some trauma that had me contemplating retiring my blog. I was close to becoming the Ricky Williams of the blogging world. This all transpired in the middle of photographing my Cheesecake Truffle Bombs. When I reviewed my photos I couldn’t tell whether they were cute, petite, cheesecake bites or little turds on a platter. I knew that photographing food would be challenging, but I didn’t realize it would be so stressful. How could I continue to have a successful blog without quality pictures?

I knew that if I couldn’t take good, creative photographs, I would be the joke of the blogging world. My fellow bloggers would ridicule me and leave me emotionally scarred. I’d have to abandon my life, move to Oregon, and join a commune. The pressure cooker world of blogging was getting to me, and this was only my second week in the biz.

Then I realized that this wasn't how I rolled. If I get bucked off a horse, this cowboy gets back on it. It’s my nature to work hard. What I lack in talent, intelligence, and polished photographs, can be offset with diligence, passion, and my unique perspective. I think photographs are an essential part of a food blog, and I’m amazed at the high quality of photographs that accompany most blogs. There’s a lot I can learn from the blogging community. I’ll gradually learn how to improve the presentation of my food and take good photographs.

Here’s what I know:

I don’t own a thousand dollar camera. I’m not a professional photographer. I’m not an art director. I don’t have a degree in web design. I don’t have any formal culinary training. I’m just a guy from Kansas with a camera, a computer, and a kitchen who loves cooking, writing, and sharing my passion with others.

It will take time, but I’ll continue to improve as a blogger – I look forward to sharing this progress with you. This is a blog created by the people for the people.

Don’t ever eat anything bigger than your head,
muddywaters

PS. "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." - Stuart Smalley

No comments: