Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Blue Cheese Dressing

I'm trying to get back into the routine of blogging, so I thought I'd start by taking a baby step.

Last night I picked up a loaf of ciabatta at Wheatfields, pulled a sirloin steak from the freezer, and prepared myself a grilled steak sandwich. I simply seasoned the steak with salt and coarse ground pepper, and grilled it medium rare. However, the bread along with a blue cheese spread made this sandwich special. The following is the recipe I used for the blue cheese dressing:

Blue Cheese Dressing

  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • Tabasco sauce
  • 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
Preparation:
  1. Whisk together everything but the Tabasco and blue cheese.
  2. Spice it to your liking with some Tabasco.
  3. Gentle stir in the cheese.
  4. Cover and refrigerate. It will keep for two weeks.
Note: If you want to use it as a salad dressing, thin it with some milk.

This sandwich was inspired by the Peppercorn Steak Sandwich at Ingredient, one of my favorite Lawrence restaurants. Next time I might take this sandwich a step further with caramelized onions and some smoked bacon with the blue cheese dressing.

Take care,
muddywaters

No comments: