Last night I picked up a loaf of ciabatta at Wheatfields, pulled a sirloin steak from the freezer, and prepared myself a grilled steak sandwich. I simply seasoned the steak with salt and coarse ground pepper, and grilled it medium rare. However, the bread along with a blue cheese spread made this sandwich special. The following is the recipe I used for the blue cheese dressing:
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Whisk together everything but the Tabasco and blue cheese.
- Spice it to your liking with some Tabasco.
- Gentle stir in the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate. It will keep for two weeks.
This sandwich was inspired by the Peppercorn Steak Sandwich at Ingredient, one of my favorite Lawrence restaurants. Next time I might take this sandwich a step further with caramelized onions and some smoked bacon with the blue cheese dressing.