Monday, November 3, 2008

Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More

Last week Marilyn over at Simmer Till Done introduced me to cookbook author Carole Walter, and since I'm a cookbook junkie I tracked down a copy of Mrs. Walter's Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More.

Normally, I defer all pastries and desserts to my wife. You see, I was the kid in school who always used too much glue, who jaggedly cut shapes with scissors,, and who left teachers grasping for something positive to say when they critiqued my artwork. Finesse and grace have always been out of my reach, so I leave the kitchen when a recipe demands an artist's touch. I've never been one to turn butter, sugar, and flour into art. When I told my wife I was going to try one of the recipes from Carole Walter's cookbook, she asked, "Are you sure you want to do that? Baking isn't your forte."

Despite my shortcomings, I might be turning the corner. Thanks to Carole Walter, I'm gaining some confidence. Having her book cracked open in the kitchen is like having a patient, nurturing teacher in the kitchen with me. She puts me at ease, and instills confidence. Tonight with her help I made an Apple-Walnut Caramel Kuchen.


Tomorrow I share the recipe.

Have a good week,
muddywaters

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out-smacking-standing! Now I want that cookbook.

Marilyn said...

Mike - looks great! I'm going to forward this post to Carole - she really is a wonderful teacher, and I'm so glad she made it into your kitchen.