Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cabbage Bombs

Prior to Man Camp, there was a lot of e-mail chatter among past participants. Two words kept popping up in many of those messages. Cabbage Bombs!

Of course, I was intrigued.

Cabbage Bombs! I envisioned a campfire cabbage roll, similar to the potluck dinner staple of my youth. They consisted of seasoned ground beef, rice, green peppers, and onions wrapped in cabbage leaves that were bathed in tomato sauce.

My vision of the Cabbage Bomb wasn't close to being accurate.

Cabbage Bombs aren't cabbage rolls.

They're much bigger and grander and worthy of their name. Cabbage Bombs consist of an entire head of cabbage that's been cored and stuffed with whatever ingredients tickle your fancy. Then you wrap it in foil, set it next to the fire, and roast until it's nice and soft.


I dub this Cabbage Bomb "The Josey Wales" because it's stuffed with whiskey, beef jerky, and jalapeno peppers. This trio of ingredients might not sound appetizing, but it creates a rich, beefy broth that's reminiscent of soy sauce, perfect for dipping leaves of cabbage.
I can't wait to create my own Cabbage Bomb on my next cookout.

drop cabbage, not bombs,

muddy



4 comments:

Jenni said...

Well, I was right about the cabbage part anyway. Those ingredients actually sound pretty good, especially the whiskey. Whiskey packs a wonderful flavor punch in many dishes. It has the added benefit of embarassing your kids if you bring something with whiskey in it to a school function, such as Pioneer Woman's whiskey glazed carrots or bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce or my own whiskey laced sweet potatoes. But back to the cabbage. I think I will have to try this next time we go camping--if we ever go camping again. (Have I mentioned I love camping and it's been a really long time since we've been?) I think I'll refrain from eating the whole head of cabbage myself, though. I wouldn't want to be dropping too many cabbage bombs.

Nella said...

I will try them for sure! Very similar to the wedges that we do on the grill or in the oven. I like the sound of the Josey Wales Bomb. I'll let you know. Nella

Nella said...

Oh yeah, yours are the Bomb and mine are the Cabbage Grenades. N

Alisa said...

It sounds so much fun! I haven't made cabbage bombs before and I cant wait to give it a try.If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!