Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Farmers' Market Treasures: Jalapeno Nut Brittle

Visiting the Lawrence Farmers' Market is one of my favorite ways to start the weekend. I love the way my senses are entertained at the market. If you view the photographs from a 2008 post over at Simmer Till Done, you'll see some of the sights I love. When I'm at the farmers' market, I feel like among my people, kindred spirits who value good produce, bluegrass, and handmade tamales.

This past Saturday, the presence of pepitas and candied jalapenos enticed me to purchase some jalapeno nut brittle.


The $4.00 pricetag made this item a luxury for this frugal soul, but I'm pleased to say that this treat was worth every penny. The slight heat of the jalapenos complemented the sweet, nutty flavor of brittle. It was the Johnny and June of sweet treats.


If you find yourself in the vicinity of the farmers' market, I recommend swinging by and picking up some jalapeno nut brittle. Also, grab a tamale while you're there.
What do you recommend from your community's farmers' market?

bringing the heat,
muddy

3 comments:

WilleWorks.com said...

I've never been brave enough to try Pam's jalapeno nut brittle. My favorite thing to buy this time of year is asparagus from Karen Pendleton. I also love farm fresh eggs.

JoAnna said...

Oh that looks delicious!

A couple of years ago I went to Lenexa's Spinach Festival and sampled a Cayenne Chocolate Chip Cookie. The sweet and the heat went together so well! I haven't ever been brave enough to try to duplicate it though.

Anonymous said...

The Johnny and June of sweet treats. Brilliant!