Monday, March 10, 2008

Fajitas


The Arctic air has pounded my morale into submission, but yesterday's 50 degree weather rejuvenated my soul. The beautiful weather in Lawrence, Kansas, was a much-needed gift. Much of my day was spent outdoors, and with the extended daylight, I completed my perfect day by grilling fajitas. The primal duo of fire and eating meat provided the perfect closure to my day.

When it comes to grilling and barbecuing, simplicity is my general philosophy. Back in when I was on a the Southern Foodways Alliance tour of Texas BBQ joints, I asked Roy Perez, the pitmaster at Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas, what the secret was to his brisket. He told me it was just salt, pepper, and time.

Simplicity.

This marinade is more complex than salt and pepper, but it's still quick, easy, and simple. You'll find most of these ingredients already in your pantry:



Fajita Marinade



  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice


  • 1/3 cup water


  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil


  • 1 large clove garlic, pressed


  • 3 teaspoons vinegar


  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce


  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke


  • 1 teaspoon salt


  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder


  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper


  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


  • Dash onion powder

I usually marinate one chicken breast and a skirt steak, which is about 1 1/2 pounds of meat. I only marinate the meat for a few hours, which imparts a good, strong flavor. There's really no need to marinate overnight with this marinade.

Of course, you'll need to slice some onions and green peppers to go with your meat. I simply place the peppers and onions on some foil, drizzle with a little Olive oil, season with salt & pepper, wrap them up, and place the foil packet on the grill. I place the onions and peppers on the grill at the same time I start the chicken.

The chicken breast will take about 30 minutes to grill, and the skirt steak will take about 3 minutes per side. If you want it well done it might take about five minutes per side. Just cook to your liking.

NOTE: Be sure to slice the skirt steak against the grain.

Happy eating,
muddywaters

No comments: