Thursday, March 27, 2008

Texas Stir-Fry

I intended to post this recipe last night, but I didn't end up preparing it. I recently baked some bread and noticed some leftover Easter ham in the fridge, so grilled ham and cheese sandwiches were on our dinner menu.

In Tuesday's entry, I shared my recipe for perfect rice. Today I'm going to share a recipe that uses that rice. The recipe is adapted from RiceSelect, a company based in Alvin, Texas, which happens to be Nolan Ryan's hometown. RiceSelect grows some outstanding rices, so if you spot any of their products on grocery store shelves, I recommend purchasing something.

Feel free to deviate from this recipe. I always stick with the cilantro, beans, rice, and lime juice as my base recipe, but I've been known to substitute the other ingredients. Chicken, pork, or tofu can be substituted for beef. If I'm really craving the taste of beef, I don't season the meat with anything but salt and pepper. Sometimes corn or red peppers go into the stir-fry. Sometimes I leave the tomatoes out. Sometimes I use another variety of onion. You probably get the point. I'm sure you'll find a combination to fit your family's tastes.


Texas Stir-Fry


  • 3 cups cooked Texmati® Rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 can (16 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 to 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 lb. of sirloin steak or sirloin tip cut against the grain into strips.
  • 1-2 tablespoons oil
  1. Season the strips of steak with the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper mixture.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok and stir-fry the steak until browned. Then remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
  3. Add onions and garlic to drippings; stir-fry 30 seconds.
  4. Add remaining ingredients except rice; stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Stir in steak; heat through.
  5. Serve over hot Texmati rice.

Note: When I prepared this dish tonight, I added the rice during step 4. Following the above directions, might give the dish a nicer presentation. Next time I prepare this dish, I'll prepare it this way and post pictures.

Happy eating,
muddywaters

No comments: