Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Knapsack Cornbread

I exercise a lot of restraint when writing my blog. I don't burst into political rants, nor do I allow negativity or cynicism seep into my writing. Like the wizard of Oz, I keep the curtain drawn. Only those who love me despite my shortcomings are privy to my odd musings. Occasionally though, I ponder strange things that creep into this blog (My drive to be a prolific blogger compels me to share). I offer you exhibit A:

If I ever become a hobo, I'll carry the following items in my knapsack:
  • a tattered copy of Huck Finn.
  • a small journal
  • a few Uni-Ball Gel Grip (blue ink) retractable pens. I'm always losing the caps of pens, so retractable pens are essential.
  • a pocket-sized atlas of the U.S.
  • smalls vials of various spices. If I encounter fellow hobos preparing a meal around a campfire, I'll have something to contribute.
  • On the first leg of my vagabond journey, I'd carry a few foil wrapped wedges of this cornbread:
This is a substantial cornbread capable of being a meal on its the own, the type of food a hobo's lifestyle demands. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 to 4 fresh or pickled jalapenos, minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced onion
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Instructions:
  1. Grease a trusty 10-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil, and place the skillet in a cool oven. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in the buttermilk, and add the corn, cheese, eggs, jalapenos, onion, and sour cream. Mix gently until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
  3. Stir in the melted butter and the remaining oil.
  4. Remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the batter into the skillet (You'll be greeted with a joyful sizzle) and return it to the oven.
  5. Bake the cornbread for 30 minutes, or until it begins to brown on top.
  6. Serve warm.
Pass the butter,
muddywaters

3 comments:

One Toothbrush said...

Regarding the Iowa State Fair - Yes, there was a butter sculpture of Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, of West Des Moines, Iowa. She's the pride of the state.

Anonymous said...

Can't remember... did you stop at LBs and Gella's on the way through Hays? Was wondering what you thought of the place. We loved it, but school's out so maybe they had cut back for the summer.

Sarah said...

I love a good skillet cornbread! And your lists crack me up--I like the fact that you specified that the pen should be retractable.