Cranberry-Upside-Down Coffee Cake
- Cooking spray
1tablespoon all-purpose flour 1 1/2cups fresh cranberries 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans 1teaspoon grated orange rind 1/2cup butter, softened and divided 1/2cup packed dark brown sugar 2tablespoons fresh orange juice 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces) 1teaspoon baking powder 1/2teaspoon salt 1cup granulated sugar 1teaspoon vanilla 1large egg 1/2cup buttermilk 1cup powdered sugar 1teaspoon half and half 2tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour. Combine cranberries, walnuts, and rind in a bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons juice, and cinnamon; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour brown sugar mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle cranberry mixture evenly over brown sugar mixture.
- Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to granulated sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter over cranberry mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; run a knife around outside edges. Invert cake onto a plate; cool.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Cut cake into squares.