Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apple Crisp

Fall is here.


I'm slowly making my way through my fall to-do list.
  1. Stew a chicken
  2. Read some Robert Frost
  3. Visit the pumpkin patch
  4. Carve a Jack-O-Lantern
  5. Roast pumpkin seeds
  6. Listen to Willie Nelson's album The Red-Headed Stranger from start to finish in one sitting.
  7. Grow a beard
  8. Spend the afternoon creatively loafing in downtown Lawrence.
  9. Take a Sunday drive to view the fall foliage
  10. Bake a ham
  11. Reread The River Why.
  12. Organize my sweaters
  13. Enjoy the Maple Leaf Festival
  14. Make ham and bean soup
  15. Jump in a pile of leaves
  16. Make an apple crisp
Yesterday I prepared an apple crisp. It's a slapdash affair, perfect for a guy like me who doesn't possess a delicate, artful touch. A little whole wheat in the crisp gives this apple crisp a nutty flavor.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 6 cups (about 2 1/2 pounds) chopped peeled apples (I used Winesap Apples grown by Beisecker Farms in Baldwin City, Kansas).
Note: I sometimes add a little nutmeg to the crisp topping. Sometimes I also add a little lemon juice and lemon zest to the apple mixture. Tonight I didn't have a lemon.

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.

  2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

  3. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and apples in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with oat mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender.

Enjoy,

muddywaters

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love the list! I am green with envy that you have a real pumpkin patch to visit; how fun! I like the addition of whole wheat flour to the crust in your crisp. Yummy, yummy.