I offer you a broccoli cheese soup. This isn't a fancy soup. Some might frown on a soup that involves dumping a few cans in a pot and dicing up a brick of Velveeta, but something can be said for convenience. This recipe from my Aunt Linda is the first soup I ever learned to make.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 tablespoons of butter.
- 3-4 carrots shredded
- 3-4 ribs of celery diced
- a 16 oz. bag of frozen chopped broccoli. I've also used a 10 and 12 oz. bag, depending what I find in the store.
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 3 cans of chicken broth
- 3 cans of cream of potato soup
- 1 lb. of Velveeta diced
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Saute the celery, carrots, onion, and broccoli for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and cream of potato soup.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the Velveeta and stir until it's melted.
- Right before serving add the sour cream and stir until it's blended with the soup.
- Serve the soup with some nice crusty bread or this flat bread picture.