Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Eggnog Cake

In the kitchen, my wife is much more practical than me. While I'm waiting ten days for a sourdough starter to cultivate, she's reaching for cans of cream of chicken soup to prepare a casserole. She's the queen of convenience, casseroles, and desserts. This might sound like I'm disrespecting my wife's culinary skills, but I'm not. She's a great cook. In an Iron Chef showdown for convenience, she'd make me look like a chump. Today I offer you a delicious recipe my wife threw together for a recent holiday party.

  1. Prepare a two-layer white cake mix, substituing eggnog for the water.
  2. Bake in bundt pan according to directions on the mix.
  3. Cool as directed.
  4. For icing, mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon spice rum, 2 to 3 teaspoons of eggnog to reach drizzling consistency.
  5. Drizzle icing over the cake.

Why does eating a slice of bundt cake always make me feel much older than I actually am?

take care,
muddywaters

10 comments:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I'm not a fan of eggnog but I suspect that in cake, I'd make do.

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm always less interested in the bundt than I am in the glaze, but if there's eggnog in that cake, I'd make an exception. How is the starter coming along, by the way?

Anonymous said...

This cake looks sooooo good! I bet it tastes good too. Is the coffee on?

Anonymous said...

Make that your new mission: bringing sexy back to Bundt cakes! Bundt cakes that rock! It's not your father's Bundt cake... something like that.

Happy Holidays!

muddywaters said...

I doubt if anyone possesses the PR skills to bring back the bundt.

I need to work with some rapper - say T-Pain - and have him start working bundt into his raps. This seems the way to reach the kids.

"Baby's Got Bundt!"

Maybe this is easier than I think.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of PR skills, egg nog could use some help. Folks only drink it two weeks out of the year. You can't run a business on that kind of sales model.

How about alternative nogs, other than egg? Choco-nog? Creme de bru-nog? Ideas?

muddywaters said...

I'm chuckling. You're right this recipe really does involve two ingredients - bundt cake and eggnog that need a makeover.

A fella could market a line of eggnog energy drinks. Red Nog. . . Crunknog. Nog Star.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... egg nog and vodka, with a shot of guarana, taurine, and caffeine. It's noggalicious!

muddywaters said...

I've resigned myself to the fact that Eggnog and Bundt are just an ill-tated duo, like Milli Vanilli, Romeo & Juliet, Coy & Vance Duke, and Bush-Cheney.

High Plains Drifters said...

okay, explain Milli Vanilli to me.

they came out of nowhere, so they had no fan base. had a new song, it was a hit, and all of a sudden everyone loved them.

then someone figured out they were lip sync'ing, and then everyone hated them.

but why weren't folks nuts about the folks who did the actual singing? (turned out they were DoD teachers working the based in Stutgart.) why didn't they get a big contract, and the fans migrate?

it's like saying that you love a particular menu item, then you find out the ingredients aren't what you thought... so now you hate it? no, you should still like it, but with reservations if you are concerned about a particular ingredient (say, high fructose corn syrup). but if the only problem is, you thought it had oregano and it turned out to be cilantro, then what's the problem?

milli vanilli taught me that people are irrational.