- The header was designed and created by one my talented and creative students. I sat down with her the last week of the school year and explained the vision I had for the artwork. She showed me her portfolio and jotted down some notes. School ended and about a week later she emailed me two rough drafts. I was blown away by her work, but she encouraged me to give her feedback and suggestions. I gave her a few minor suggestions, thinking there would be a little bit of improvement, but she worked her magic and created a final piece of art that exceeded my expectations. Through the whole process, I was impressed with her creativity and professionalism. If you need a new blog header, I could put you in touch with this student.
- The header was inspired by a John Stuart Curry mural titled Tragic Prelude that you can find in the Kansas Statehouse.
- Mr. Crankypants wanted to have the words This skillet kills fascists on the skillet I'm holding as a nod to Woody Guthrie, but I thought the message might be misconstrued. Coupled with the image of John Brown, it might have been too brash and radical.
- I still feel awkward with my image on the header. I'm a quiet, behind-the-scenes guy who shies away from the spotlight, but since I'm also a firm believer in getting outside my comfort zone, I decided to become part of the header. It's still awkward, but it will grow on me.
- Each time I look at the new header I smile. It's a bit goofy, but in my book goofy is good. It's nice to have a little piece of art that tickles me. We all need this in our lives.
PS. . . Michelle, thanks for making my vision a reality. I appreciate your work.