Once upon a time the internet didn't exist, kids pedaled around neighborhoods without protective headgear, and I generated a modest income mowing lawns in Pomona, Kansas. Most of my customers were 70 or older, so after mowing a yard, it was common to be offered a a cold beverage. Often I would decline because I had more work to do, but occasionally I'd accept. Even at a young age, I knew the value of slowing things down, taking a break, and visiting with folks, so I spent a lot afternoons sitting on the front porches of Pomona, KS, drinking lemonade or iced tea (For some reason, I was never offered a can of soda) with senior citizens.
I miss those afternoons.
I miss front porches. As you know, they don't often build new homes with front porches. People like to hide out in their backyards. A lot has changed. Cadillacs are made of fiberglass. New churches don't look like churches. New barns don't look like barns. Trains don't have cabooses. I miss a lot about the past.
I miss those conversations with the senior citizens of Pomona, Kansas.
I live in a town full of beautiful front porches, and when I drive by one, I long to sit.I long for a conversation with the people of my past.
I long to slow down time.
I long for a cold drink.
I long for time on a front porch.
If you dropped by this afternoon, I'd fix you a nice cold drink -- maybe agua fresca -- and we'd slow time down and talk about the stuff that really matters in this life.
Cucumber Agua FrescaPS. . . Be sure to cast a vote for my field trip destination. You have until 10:30 PM on Sunday, June 7th to vote.
Enjoy the weekend,
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled and seeded cucumbers
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups ice cubes plus more for glasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 2 large pinches of salt
- Combine 2 1/4 cups of the cucumbers, 2 cups water, 1 cup ice cubes, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup lime juice, and 1 pinch of salt in a blender. Blend until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth but slush.
- Pour mixture through a strainer and into a pitcher. Press all of the liquid out of cucumbers in the strainer.
- Repeat the above with the remaining ingredients.
- Place ice cubes in eight glasses and fill with cucumber drink.
- Enjoy on a front porch. This is the perfect quencher for a summer day.
Enjoy the weekend,