Sunday, January 24, 2010

Salty Dog





When I drink
I say things I don't want to say
I do things I don't wanna do
I talk mean to you

But if I think I just might get something out of this
My parents taught me to learn when I miss
Just do your best
Just do your best

But when I drink
I spend the next morning in a haze
But we only get so many days
Now I have one less Just Do Your Best



In my late 20's, I drank a lot. This was the result of being a single guy in a college town. I guess, that's the excuse I'll use. Now I'm more likely to spend a Saturday night reading a cookbook, playing Princess-Opoly with my daughter, or folding laundry than hitting the bars. It took me a little time to realize what the Avett Brothers point out in the last verse of "When I Drink."

Last night I was in bed by 10:30, so I missed the Avett Brothers performing on Austin City Limits, but I did have one drink early in the evening.

I squeezed some grapefruit and fixed myself a Salty Dog.

I didn't plan on making a Salty Dog; the grapefruits in my fruit bowl made that decision for me.

It worked out well because I love the song "Salty Dog" by Flatt and Scruggs. Earl Scruggs, like the Avett Brothers, are from North Carolina, so I guess things have a way of coming full circle.

Salty Dog

  • 5 ounces grapefruit juice
  • 1 1/2 ounce gin
  • 1 lime wedge
  • salt to rim the glass.
  1. Rim glass with salt.
  2. Mix gin and juice.
  3. Garnish with lime
  4. Enjoy





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure who's in charge of programming around here, but we get two PBS stations. One of them shows ACL at 11:00 on Saturdays, then reruns it 4-5 times at 3:00 am. The other station airs it at a more reasonable 9:00 on Saturdays, but it's two weeks behind the first showing. So, we'll get the Avett Bros some time in February. Steve Earle is this week for most folks, so we'll get it in mid-Feb.