Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy at Wheatfields

I've been teaching at my current school for 14 years now, so I possess the comfort that comes with knowing the rituals, routines, and rhythms of a place. Every Thursday the cafeteria serves biscuits and gravy. When I was younger, I looked forward to my weekly biscuit and gravy fix.

Because I like to fit comfortably into my pants and because my principal frowns upon mid-morning naps, I rarely eat biscuits and gravy at school. Someday I will have a career that demands hearty breakfasts, and every morning I'll eat biscuits & gravy, hash browns, eggs, and chicken fried steak. Until then I'll try to stay away from the gravy.

For now it's a once-in-awhile treat, and when I want to treat myself to biscuits and gravy, I head to Wheatfields.


The gravy takes center stage in their version of this American classic. It's a meaty gravy that is generously seasoned with a blend of spices that gives it an addictive quality. In a future post, I will attempt to break down the spices, but I need a little time and help. It's the most elaborately seasoned gravy I've ever had.


They might be the best biscuits and gravy I've ever eaten, and that's saying a lot because I've eaten a lot of biscuits and gravy. Where have you found the best biscuits and gravy


may you have a little gravy in your day,




muddy

PS. . . I only ate a half order of biscuits and gravy, which cost me $4.09 with tax included. I've never consumed a whole order, but if I did, I imagine that I would like this.



4 comments:

Meryl said...

I love Wheatfields B&G!

Jenni said...

Biscuits and gravy is one of those things that can be either really fantastic or absolutely disgusting. There is rarely any middle ground. The gravy is usually the culprit, and most often someone has accidentally made papier mache paste instead of gravy. It's not a complicated recipe, but the right amount and kind of spices is key. Lots of sausage also helps. There is nothing worse than getting gravy that tastes like dishwater. Some of the best biscuits and gravy I've had has been from concession stands at wrestling meets. Some of the worst biscuits and gravy I've had has also been from wrestling meet concession stands. Good or bad, there is almost always biscuits and gravy at a wrestling meet.

High Plains Drifters said...

i decided to marry M. after having her mom's fried chicken and gravy.

High Plains Drifters said...

Try this place next summer on your trip through these parts:
http://www.denbisco.com/HOME/tabid/38/Default.aspx

Word verification: facratio

The ratio of facts to jibberish? "In the 2010 election season, the facratio of Candidate X's ads was 1:97.