Friday, February 12, 2010

En Route to El Reno




I'm at the Matfield Green rest area, located on the Kansas Turnpike between Emporia and Wichita. In his book Roads: Driving America's Great Highways, Larry McMurty cites the stretch of I-35 as one of his favorite drives. It is a scenic drive.


The Matfield Green rest area is also home to a memorial to Knute Rockne, whose plane crashed in the Flint Hills near this site.

My favorite stretch of highway to drive in Kansas is the stretch of Highway 56 between the Alma turnpike exit and Council Grove. My favorite stretch of road to drive outside of Kansas would be the Beartooth Scenic Byway or the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What are your favorite stretches of road to drive?

keep on the sunny side,
muddy

p.s. Sorry for the choppy brevity, but I'm making a real effort to document my journey without taking too much time from actually enjoying the journey.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm at home on lunch break and then heading north to El Dorado for the afternoon.
That Matfield Green stop has got to be the prettiest McDonald's. I love stopping there and looking at all the murals and the way they really carried the Kansas theme throughout the whole restaurant. It's almost not like stopping at a McDonald's.
My favorite stretch of road in Kansas would have to be right around Council Grove, too. I can't remember the highway number.
Favorite roads in the U.S. would include Devil's Backbone outside Wimberley, TX (where my aunt and grandmother used to live), Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado (a little scary but beautiful), and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm sure there are more, but I tend to think in terms of stops rather than roads.