Monday, February 1, 2010

Fajita Marinade Revised

I used to possess a steal-trap mind that could store recipes, football statistics, the occasional poem, and restaurant menus across the United States. Lately, these bits of information have been performing a Houdini-like escape. I guess, age would be the most likely explanation for this, but I won't go gently into that good night. Today I'm using my blog to record a recipe as preventive measure. I tried this recipe last summer, and I loved it. Somewhere in the shuffle I lost the recipe. Now I've found it, and here it is. It's a recipe for a fajita marinade, which quickly replaced one I posted in the early stages of this blog. I like this recipe because the liquid smoke in my earlier recipe has been replaced with chipotle peppers, jalapeno peppers that have been smoked, so you get a subtle smokey taste to your meat.


I usually marinate skirt or flank steak for my fajitas. I haven't tried this marinade with chicken, but I'm sure it will work fine.


Fajita Marinade


(Adapted from Mark Miller's Tacos)



  • 8 to 10 cloves roasted garlic (If you don't have any on hand, just use some a few cloves of chopped garlic or a bit of garlic powder)

  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

  • 1 tablespoon red chile powder

  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin

  • 2 teaspoons onion powder

  • 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

  • 2 tablespoons Sriracha (The original recipe called for a red chile sauce, but for me this is a suitable substitue)

  • 1 teaspoon chipotle puree (You can find canned chipotles with adobo sauce in most grocery stores. Just simple puree in a blender. This is an amazing ingredient that can be used in a lot of recipes. I've used it in meat loaf, salsas, and sometimes in vegetable dishes. When I open a can for this recipe, I just freeze the remaining puree.)

rage, rage against the dying light,


muddy

2 comments:

Jenni said...

That's one of my favorite poems. I think maybe I'll make fajitas using your marinade for Danny sometime soon. Maybe I'll even have some with less meat and more veggies. I'm raging against my expanding waistline and lack of energy at the moment, so I'm trying to reduce meat and increase the veggies in my diet. Unfortunately, some exercise may also be required.

Anonymous said...

Canned chipotles are one of the best bargains out there. Maybe a buck a can. Use just one of the chiles and a smidge of the sauce for about a gallon of chili or stew or marinade. Really potent stuff. And, you can tupperware or freeze the rest for later. Have never had it go bad. A very utilitarian condiment.