If you don't have any mangoes on hand, you could use pineapple. Even canned pineapple works well with this recipe. When the winter blah's have a stranglehold on me, I'll whip up this salsa with pineapple to give me a taste of the tropics.
We grilled hamburgers this afternoon and served this on the side. The salsa's flavor improves with time.
Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and chopped fine (How to peel a mango)
- ½ red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced or you could use a serrano pepper if you'd like more heat.
Mix all of the ingredients together and season with salt to taste. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest to blend flavors. This salsa will keep 2-3 days.