Thursday, April 10, 2008

Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich

I'm addicted to reading just as much as I am to food and cooking, so I visit the Lawrence Public Library at least twice a week. Each time I walk out of the library with my arms full of books, I can't believe that simply possessing a library card gives me this privilege. I treasure my trips to the library.
(muddywaters with daughter on her first trip to the library)

I have a four-year-old daughter, so she often accompanies me to the library. I'm happy to say that she 's becoming quite the little book addict. Last weekend we picked up a book that I thought I'd share with you. It's called Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex. The picture of Frankenstein on the cover attracted my daughter. I thought it looked like a goofy book until I read the subtitle: And other stories you’re sure to like because they’re all about monsters, and some of them are also about food. You like food, don’t you? Well, all right then.

I do like food, so we checked the book out and reading it has been an absolute joy. It's a collection of poems sharing the problems various monsters face. My daughter loves not only the illustrations, but the author's playful language and sense of humor, which reminds me a bit of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons. It's a witty, bizarre sense of humor that I appreciate. Check out the following poem from the book:



"Count Dracula Doesn’t Know He’s Been Walking Around All Night with Spinach in His Teeth" by Adam Rex

Will someone please just tell him? It looks so undignified.
The zombies almost mentioned it. The Headless Horseman tried.
But when he said, “Vhat are you staring at?” they lost their nerve and lied.

It’s been stuck in there for hours now. It’s getting kind of sick.
I would offer him a toothpick, but he gets this nervous tic
If you ever come too close with any kind of pointed stick.

Well, really. Can you blame us if we don’t know what to say?
His castle has no mirrors, so I guess it’s there to stay.
What was a vampire doing eating spinach, anyway?

I hope you chuckled. We can all relate to Dracula's spinach curse. The illustration that accompanies the poem doubles the delight.

Anyway, I hope you check out this book. It would be a good book to read during the Halloween season.

Happy reading,
muddywaters

No comments: