Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rice Pilaf

I used to rigidly follow recipes. To be honest, I'd get downright uptight about following recipes. However, during the last two years, I've learned that it's O.K. to deviate from the printed recipe. Sometimes it's necessary to substitute ingredients if I don't have something on hand, or I add ingredients that suit the tastes of my family. Or I simply use an ingredient that's leftover in the fridge because I hate seeing anything go to waste.

I'm now a much more relaxed, flexible cook.

Tonight we grilled pork chops, so I decided to prepare rice pilaf as a side dish. I love this recipe because it can be adapted to what's in my pantry. I'm sharing the base recipe that can be easily adapted. Sometimes I add corn or chopped carrots to this recipe. I just add them with the onions and celery in step #1. Tonight towards the end of preparing this dish I fluffed in a little leftover wild rice I had cooked earlier. I hope you learn to prepare this recipe to cater to your family's tastes.



  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 3 tablespoons chopped celery
  • 3 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion. Cook until soft.
  2. Add basmati rice and stir until the kernels are coated with oil. Stir another 2 minutes until the rice turns opaque.
  3. Add the water and salt. Then bring to a boil.
  4. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
  5. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit, cover, for 5 minutes.
  6. When ready to serve, fluff the rice with a fork.

No comments: