Monday, April 21, 2008

Gin Daisy

Sorry for the hiatus. I've grown a little frustrated with trying to photographing my food. I hate interrupting my cooking to take photographs, so I've quit doing it for a few days. Without photographs I've been reluctant to post. I need to get over this. I promise to change my attitude and relax. Posting today is my first step. Last Friday's cocktail of the week was a Gin Daisy, a recipe I found at Chowhound.com, one of my favorite food sites.

I'm a relatively newcomer to the world of gin, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite spirits. There's something very comforting and soothing about the aroma of gin that I love. Lately I've been thinking about how I can cook with it.

I enjoyed this cocktail because it's simple and refreshing. It's a great summer cocktail. I really liked it because it's not an overly sweet cocktail. My wife didn't care for this cocktail. She said, "It's just missing something." However, she never elaborated on the specifics of this comment.

Note: I didn't have any grenadine.
It seems like whenever I buy grenadine I use it once, and then there's a five-year gap until my next use. With this recipe, I simply used a little cranberry juice its place. It gave the drink it a nice pink tinge, without disrupting the flavors.

Gin Daisy
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 ounces gin
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons grenadine
  • Cold club soda
  • Slice of lemon and sprig of mint
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Shake the gin, lemon juice, and grenadine with ice; then strain into a chilled glass filled with cracked ice. Add club soda to fill. Garnish with a lemon slice and a mint sprig.

Variation:

Bourbon Daisy: Substitute bourbon for the gin, and float 2 teaspoons Southern Comfort on top just before serving.

Enjoy,
muddywaters

No comments: