Tuesday, April 29, 2008

One Family, Two Views on How to Run Iowa Farm

"I tell people, our kids kind of grew up on a 'schizophrenic farm,' where dad farms one way [and I farm another]," Lavon Griffieon says. "I rail against genetically modified plants, while he plants genetically modified corn."

"The name of the game is yield, and you have to have the yield, so you have the bushels to sell," he says (Craig Griffieon).


I'm battling spring fever, so that last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer and blog. I'm searching for some self-discipline.

Today I'm taking a shortcut and simply sharing something I heard on the radio. The above quotations are from a NPR story I heard Monday on All Things Considered. I found the feature interesting for the following reasons:
  1. It's ultimately about food.
  2. I've been thinking a lot about how my decisions as a consumer affect the world.
  3. It's about marriage and how one couple copes with individual differences. While this couple shares basic core beliefs, they don't always see eye to eye when it comes to politics and social issues. I'm interested in how they maintain a healthy, successful relationship. There's a lot to be learned from this couple.
  4. Finally, it explores the family farm, and lately I've been interested in recording oral histories to document the family farm in America. Throughout the year, NPR will report back with this family and share their stories.
Keep on the sunny side,
muddywaters

No comments: