Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Crispy Cajun Toasts

This weekend we prepared pasta for a small crowd, so we have a lot of leftover bread. Since I hate to throw anything out, I decided to use this three-day-old bread. Tonight I'll be making a chocolate bread pudding, but this afternoon I fixed a batch of Crispy Cajun Toasts, a recipe from Terri Pischoff Wuerthner’s In a Cajun Kitchen. Preparing these little snacks help me avoid the guilt of wasting food, and they're tasty. I sometimes use these in place of bagel chips in my Chex Party Mix.

I know this recipe doesn't seem like much, but these are quite tasty.

Note: If you wanted to cut the bread into cubes, you would prepare a batch of Cajun Croutons.


  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 loaf soft French bread, at least one day old
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Combine all the spices, sugar, and oil in a bowl and blend thoroughly.
  3. Using a serrated knife, slice the bread in 1/4-inch slices. Place on baking sheets.
  4. Brush bread with oil-seasoning mixture on top of bread.
  5. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the bread is crisp.
  6. Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy,
muddywaters

No comments: