I'm counting down the days to July when I can use homegrown tomatoes from the farmers' market.
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 large red onion
- 20 or so fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Core tomatoes and cut lengthwise into 6-8 wedges, and then cut the wedges in half. Place tomatoes in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut lengthwise. Then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Add to the tomatoes.
- Peel the onion and cut lengthwise into slivers. Combine with tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Cut basil into thin strips and add to the salad.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk everything together.
- Pour dressing over the vegetable mixture and gently toss. Let marinate for 30-40 minutes. Serve at room temperature.