Monday, June 23, 2008

Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream

Cooking with my family and enjoying a meal together might be my favorite way to abandon the daily grind of life. Last week I noticed some half and half that was set to expire, so my daughter and I decided slow down the hands of time by dusting off the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and making a pint of ice cream.

We used the following recipe from Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of light cream
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
***Note: This recipe makes a quart. If you want to make a pint of ice cream, simply half the recipe.

Instructions:
  1. Simply whisk together all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Everyone who tried this ice cream enjoyed it, so it's a recipe I'll make again.

Later this week I'd like to make a lemonade, limeade, or cranberry lemonade sorbet. We'll keep you posted.

I was reading about the folks over at onetoothbrush.blogspot.com drinking jalapeno margaritas, and I started contemplating making a jalapeno-lime sorbet or jalapeno ice cream. If they can make a bacon ice cream, jalapeno cream is only a small leap. Friends, I think I'm prepared to walk on the wild side.

No comments: